[Logo] Mentawai Forum - Mentawai Web Framework
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 

Forum Read-Only! Check the new site and forum here!

Keep it simple!  XML
Forum Index -> General Comments
Sven

These are just some thoughts which came to my mind recently:

Please do not try to make Mentawai the all-in-one device suitable for every purpose!

The development of Mentawai should focus on the strength of the core framework, namely Actions, Filters and Consequences.

For other areas it should advocate and support the use of well established third party libraries (like for example Prototype for Ajax or Google Guice for dependency injection).

Recipes should explain how to use third party libraries along with Mentawai and the Mentawai core should be developed in a direction so that it works with the libraries, not against them.

I believe if Mentawai keeps being a lightweight but extensible, flexible and configurable framework it will be more successful than if it integrates and reinvents everything!

Don't be offended by my words, these are just some thoughts! I still like Mentawai
saoj

Why not have both options when possible? Some people will have the expertise (and patience) to leverage and integrate a bunch of different technologies and frameworks in a single project. Some other people won't.

We surely do not want to re-invent the wheel for sending email, connection pooling, cluster, file upload, velocity template, etc. Mentawai creates a higher level of abstraction for these tasks and uses their libraries under the hood. However DI is not rocket science! We can provide our own implementation as well as integration with Spring, if needed or preferred.

I really want to create an good integration of Mentawai with Guice. Maybe you can help us here, Sven.

People do not need to know all the feature about Mentawai. They can do stuff by hand and/or use an external framework. For example, Mentawai offers a simple support for authentication and authorization. Something very basic (specially authentication) for each and every web application. However you are free to ignore this and use JAAS or your own solution.

Sergio Oliveira

Forum Index -> General Comments
Go to: